Sunday, April 27, 2008

Random cultural things....

Funny things I've noticed recently in American culture....

  • Typical Marin Housewife (see my post on Marina Housewives) - she only had one small shopping bag, but she needed the whole trolley to carry it out to the car! Note the car is a status-symbol SUV (what Blaise calls a "cafe tractor"), which likely only gets used to pick up her kids from school. (I saw this in San Rafael, which probably says it all.)
  • Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but Californian women wear huge diamond rocks on their fingers. Five carat diamonds are common.
  • Americans love their (bad) coffee. So much so, that at Walgreens, the coffee is locked up! The tea and Milo-ish drinks are not. I had to go and find a store employee to unlock it just so I could buy the coffee.

  • I eat far too much junk food at my new job, although I usually need it plus copious amounts of coffee, to get through the day. Here is some crazy cheese-in-a-can. It comes out very slowly and tastes like the 'cheddar' cheese you get at McDonalds on your cheeseburger. People squeeze it out to eat on Cheeetos (they look and taste like Twisty chips.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your observations of American culture! I think they only lock the coffee up in California though -- our Walgreens only sells Folgers.

When my daughter was younger, she spent the summer with my parents and came home about 10 pounds heavier (after only 2 months!) due to nightly intakes of cheese in a can and refrigerated squeeze cheese! It's banned from our house.

Tina said...

Edie - Ahahaha! :) I can see why it's banned! It seems like it must have so many calories, I only tried a little bit on some Cheetos before my brain said, "No, that is not a good thing to eat".