Thursday, May 01, 2008

The first "Fat Kiwi" story.... our van is too ugly for Nob Hill

Yesterday, I was walking home from checking on our other car, parked out of sight around the corner (so I'm paranoid, and with good reason!) when I noticed a police car parked in the middle of our street. I had this weird feeling that they were looking at our car, so I went and asked. Turns out, they were. Some old lady complained that it had been there for two weeks, and that she couldn't see around the corner, and so she called the police!

So apparently there's this bylaw that you're supposed to move your car every 3 days, but I don't know how much it's enforced. So they were going to tow it away in 3 days!

Feeling extremely lucky that I happened to run into the two policemen, I went inside. That night there was a knock on our door, and a different policeman was standing there, to tell us about our car. I still think it's because the van's just too ugly for the snobby Nob Hill residents in the two apartments opposite us. Which is incredibly funny, for some reason.

So today I called AAA to get the battery started since it went flat, and we couldn't move it for street cleaning (hello parking ticket!) The AAA guy and I were trying to get the bonnet open with fingers and screwdrivers. An old lady drove up in her flash BMW or whatever, and proceeded to give me a huge lecture about how she was the one who had called the police, and how we were totally irresponsible for parking it on the corner and how her grandkids were that age or something. Heinous old woman. I tried to explain that, well, we were moving it, but she was completely and utterly rude, and I couldn't get a word in edgeways.

It took us a veeeery long time to find a park on a street where we could park perpendicular, since the handbrake is dodgy. It's really far away - I'll have to take the cable car just to work on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe your neighbors called the cops on your van. What jerks! I would hate to have to park on the street. It looks like you're making good progress on the van though.